EN TR

News

History of Turkish Army Aviation Command and Army Aviation School Command

Date: Issue 129 - May 2024 Update: May 21, 2024

The foundations of army aviation, dating back to the establishment of the Aviation Commission within the General Staff on June 1, 1911, were laid by the Land Forces Command in 1948 with the establishment of an Air Group named Artillery Aviation affiliated with the Artillery Class in Polatlı, and in 1957, the Air Group was renamed as the "Army Aviation School."

The first Army Aviator Badge was created in 1911. Subsequently, featuring two crossed cannon barrels underneath, this badge was first worn on graduates' uniforms in June 1949. By 1954, it transitioned to a gold color, and the crossed cannon barrels were removed, resulting in its current final form.